Doggie Ice Cream! 🐾
February 14, 2019 by Furry Tales
When you notice mangoes beginning to make an appearance in the markets around you, you know that in the blink of an eye, summer will be here! Which means saying goodbye to warm clothes, saying hello to light cotton clothes, going on more adventures and most importantly, enjoying ice creams!
But why should you be the only one to enjoy all the yummy mangoes as well as ice cream? Why shouldn’t your pooch get to enjoy some, as well? No, we don’t mean you should give him/her ice cream meant for human consumption (dogs are lactose intolerant so items made of milk and cream may upset their stomach). We mean to say that you can treat your pooch with an ice-cream made with ingredients that are safe for them to consume as well as enjoy! How do you achieve that? Well, we’ve got you covered 🙂
Make your own Doggie Ice Cream by following this simple recipe:
- 1 cup of non-flavoured yogurt.
- 2-3 tablespoons of homemade peanut butter (recipe for this is mentioned at the end of this article)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey (optional)
- Whisk the curd well and add the banana into it.
- Ensure the peanut butter is slightly warm so that it mixes well. Then add honey and the peanut butter to the curd+banana mix.
- You can then either fill this mixture into a kong toy or use an ice cube tray to make small cubes out of this. You could also use a regular ziplock bag to store this. Once you decide which container to use, go ahead and freeze the mixture for a few hours.
And voila! Now your pooch can also enjoy a cold treat on a hot summer day.
- You can replace banana with other dog-friendly fruits, without their seeds, such as mangoes/strawberries/apples etc. Just ensure not to add too much fruit because too much of anything is bad for the dogs.
- You can add a little kibble to this mixture if you wish.
- This is a treat and not a replacement for your pooch’s main meals.
- Since this is an ice-cream, it will start melting once out of the refrigerator. Hence, pls give this to your pooch in a place you wouldn’t mind, if they dirty.
Recipe for homemade peanut butter
- 2 bowls of dry roasted peanuts.
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey (optional).
- A pinch of salt.
- Put the peanuts in a blender/ mixer-grinder. Turn it on and let it run for 4-5 minutes. You will see the peanuts go from crumbs to a dry ball to a smooth and creamy “liquid”. Stir in the honey and salt.
- You can store in the fridge or at room temperature depending on how fast you’ll go through it.
Disclaimer: Please consult a veterinarian or canine nutritionist to ensure your dog isn’t allergic to any of the ingredients before you feed them the treat.